Mr. Ruf is the founder and CEO of Ruf &
Associates, LLC. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting from
Brigham Young University and has been a licensed CPA since 1978. Mr. Ruf has
extensive experience as a consultant and corporate officer with regional,
national and international companies. He has also co-founded successful
construction and manufacturing companies. Mr. Ruf has served as an officer and
board member in local and national associations, and has been recognized
nationally for his distinguished service. He is on the CALTRANS list of approved
expert witnesses, is a neutral on the American Arbitration Association
Commercial Arbitration panel and is prequalified to serve on Utah Department of
Transportation Dispute Review Boards.
Mr. Ruf has over 30 years of experience in the construction industry with over
20 years focused on the preparation and resolution of construction related
change orders, requests for equitable adjustments, claims and disputes. He has
presented and testified in numerous negotiations, appraisals, mediations,
arbitrations and litigation settings. He has authored technical papers in
national magazines and presented to national associations.
Areas of Expertise
Construction Change Orders,
Requests for Equitable Adjustments and Claims
Evaluation of Entitlement
Damage Assessment and Cost Analysis
Dispute Resolution – Dispute Resolution Boards
- Damage Assessment and Cost Analysis
- Dispute Resolution – Dispute Resolution Boards
- Expert Reports and Testimony
- Concrete, Underground Utilities, Earthwork, and Microtunneling
- Insurance Claims and Appraisals
- Corporate, Project and Financial Management
- Project Estimating
- Mergers & Acquisition & Business Turnarounds
- Structuring Joint Ventures
- Credit and Bonding
- Forensic Accounting
- Cost Segregation Studies
Mr. Ruf has been involved in all phases of construction projects including:
microtunneling, waste water treatment facilities, water pumping plants, major
utility pipelines, municipal and commercial buildings, water tanks, waste water
collection systems, culinary and secondary water distribution systems, concrete
structures, roadway construction, ski resort development, and airports.
PROFESSIONAL WORK HISTORY
Ruf & Associates, LLC
President/CEO 1982 to Present
Ruf & Associates, LLC was established in 1993 by Mr. Harold B. Ruf, CPA as a
part-time consulting business. It has since grown into a major consulting firm
with diverse capabilities serving regional, national and international clients.
Ruf & Associates, LLC is a successor to Ellis and Ruf Company which was
established in 1982 as an investment company to acquire, finance and lease
Patel Engineering, Inc.
Serving as Executive Vice President/General Manager of a Top 100 Concrete
Prepared documentation and presented client’s claims in the appraisal and
mediation processes on $12 million in contractor insurance claims that resulted
in the award of over $10 million on those claims.
Served as cost expert on a $13 million Request for Equitable Adjustment
against the project owner on a major construction project.
Serving as cost and construction expert on extremely complex case with more
than eleven parties.
Prepared and reviewed numerous Cost Segregation Studies.
Set up and implemented the construction equipment purchase, finance and lease
agreements with an international construction company.
Helped to negotiate a successful Joint Venture agreement with a billion dollar
international construction company, which significantly increased cash flow and
profits for our client.
Created and helped to implement a business work-out plan for a company with
negative equity which resulted in all creditors being paid and the client
starting a successful new company.
Negotiated the creative purchase and financing of an aggregate source for a
leasing client by purchasing the 2nd mortgage at a significant discount and then
purchasing the property from bankruptcy court as creditor.
Executive Vice President 2005
Patel Engineering, Inc. is the U.S. holding company of Patel Engineering, Ltd.
Among its U.S. holdings are Westcon Microtunneling, Inc., an international
microtunneling contractor, and ASI RCC, Inc., an international roller compacted
concrete dam building contractor.
Promoted from direct role in Westcon Microtunneling, Inc to supervise the
Westcon Microtunneling, Inc subsidiary.
Reviewed all Westcon Microtunneling, Inc bids. Helped to develop and implement
overall strategy for the microtunneling subsidiary.
Empowered to seek and acquire a new subsidiary company that I would lead.
Westcon Microtunneling, Inc.
Executive Vice President/COO 2001 to 2005
Westcon Microtunneling, Inc. is the U.S. subsidiary of Patel Engineering, Inc.
Westcon is a contractor specializing in microtunneling technology, which is the
installation of utility tunnels up to twelve feet in diameter to precise lines
and grade. This technology is controlled by computer from the surface and
utilizes laser guidance, slurry soil removal and pipe jacking technologies.
Developed a computerized estimating system that linked to and correlated with
the financial accounting system, creating increased accuracy and success of
Developed and implemented an equipment costing system that was instrumental in
developing accurate weekly cost reports for managing the company and documenting
actual equipment costs for change orders and claims.
Reviewed and approved bids up to $32 million.
Helped to grow the company’s annual revenue from $1.6 million to over $15.4
million in a three year period.
Helped to turn the company around from a significant annual loss to a
Documented and submitted over $12 million in insurance claims on a major
project and negotiated over $4.5 million in interim settlements.
Supervised team that documented and submitted a $13 million Request for
Equitable Adjustment on a major project.
Developed a change order negotiating strategy that increased the final
settlement by over $750,000.
Negotiated a $5.75 million bank line of credit with terms below the prime
Handled all relationships with our publicly traded, international parent
Fetzers’ Inc. manufactures and installs premium grade architectural woodwork
throughout the United States. Notable projects include the LDS Conference
Center, Brooks Brothers Stores and Banana Republic Stores.
Led the team that selected, purchased and installed an Enterprise Resource
Planning (ERP2) software system that played a key role in reducing cost,
managing inventory and increasing business effectiveness.
Developed a new competitive employee benefit structure to retain and attract
employees and negotiated with the union and employees to approve and implement
Negotiated significantly increased lines of credit and financing facilities,
while reducing their cost.
Developed strategy to consolidate family ownership.
Helped to develop a middle management structure change to facilitate better
customer response and improved cost controls.
Served as pension plan trustee and updated the investment options in the 401K
Western Utility Contractors, Inc.
Executive Vice President/COO/CFO 1978 to 1993
Co-founded this start-up general engineering contractor. Recognized by
Engineering News Record as a “U.S. Top-Ten” Specialty Contractor; and by the EPA
as their “1987 Prime Contractor of the Year.”
- Increased annual revenue from start-up to over $32 million over an eight year
period, with up to 275 employees.
- Corporation earned over 20% annual return on investment (ROI) from 1978-1993.
- Reviewed and approved major project estimates to $10 million.
- Chief negotiator for major contract change orders.
- Arranged surety bond lines of credit up to $40 million.
- Negotiated credit facilities totaling $20 million, including lines of credit
to $1 million, which facilitated annual growth over 50% and increased working
- Designed and negotiated a creative $1.5 million off balance sheet lease that
helped save over $750,000 and became an industry standard, while it maintained
- Negotiated the creative purchase, 100% financing and subsequent profitable
sale of a manufacturing company which resulted in a profit of over $1 million.
- Led development and implementation of corporate cost reduction/downsizing plan
which focused on core profitable work and resulted in a return to profitability.
- Led team that authored the corporate Policy and Procedures Manual allowing
management to formulate and communicate its mission, strategic plan and policies
- Helped organize and present annual in-house training which conveyed management
goals, improved skills and increased employee morale.
- Supervised the teams that established budgets and prepared multi-year business
plans along with variance reports to help ensure compliance.
- Researched, acquired and installed a state of the art, computerized MIS which
improved management control and allowed over 100% revenue growth, with no
increase in staff.
Westroc, Inc. (an affiliate of Western Utility Contractors, Inc.)
Executive Vice President 1987 to 1990
Western Utility Contractors, Inc purchased this concrete and aggregate company
in 1987. After turning the operation around in three years it was sold to an
- Assumed responsibilities at this affiliate in addition to responsibilities at Westcon.
- Turned around this ready-mix concrete and aggregate company, bought out of
bankruptcy, to a profitable operation in less than 18 months.
- Formulated and implemented strategic plan which resulted in an increase in
annual revenue from $3 million to $9 million over a three year period.
- Initiated quality control procedures which significantly increased product
quality and consistency while greatly improving customer satisfaction and
- Significantly reduced unit cost of ready-mix concrete & aggregate processing
- Acquired new aggregate source allowing profitable expansion into new markets.
Engineers Construction Co., Inc.
Controller 1974 to 1978
Morris A. Bird, CPA
Staff Accountant 1971 to 1973
Education and Professional Societies
- Bachelor of Science Brigham Young University (Accounting)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) licensed in Utah since 1978 (# 130988-2601)
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member of Utah Association of Certified Public Accountants (UACPA)
- Utah General Engineering Contractor E-100 (# 6291210-5551)
- Member Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC)
Publications, Presentations and Seminars
- North American Society for Trenchless Technology “Documenting and Presenting
Underground Construction Claims”
- Associated Builders and Contractors “Documenting and Presenting Construction
- Associated Builders and Contractors “Cost Segregation for Contractors”
- Utah Apartment Association “Cost Segregation for Apartment Owners”
- Buildings Magazine “The Cash Benefits of Cost Segregation”
Professional Service and Recognitions
- Served as Regional Vice President (1991 to 1994) and sat on the Board of
Directors (1988 to 1994) of the National Utility Contractors Association (NUCA)
- Served as chairman (1988 to 1994) of the NUCA Insurance and Bonding Committee.
While serving as chair, negotiated and implemented national group
property/casualty insurance program with over $50 million in annual premiums.
- 1990 recipient of the National Utility Contractors Association’s highest
individual achievement award: “Ditchdigger of the Year.”
- Various responsible community positions.