JOHN MCREYNOLDS GGR, GMB, CFLC
Mr. McReynolds’ more than twenty-five years of hands-on, technical, managerial and executive experience in home building, remodeling, and property claims adjusting has provided him with unique qualifications to address any aspect of construction in the residential and commercial building sectors. Since 1989 he has held principle positions in custom home and remodeling firms and has provided home building consulting and subrogation and liability mitigation support as a construction expert. His technical and educational consulting work has involved provision of product development and marketing advisory services to major building supply organizations and litigation support services to owners and counsel in areas of construction related defects, claims and disputes since 1994, with concentration primarily on practical applications of the residential home building process.
Mr. McReynolds has written free-lance articles on home improvement for home building magazines and was the home improvement columnist for a major metropolitan newspaper. As a Certified Graduate Remodeler and Graduate Master Builder, he has conducted home building and remodeling instruction engagements for Houston Community College and for city and statewide homebuilder’s associations. He has held director and officer positions in state and the local builders’ associations and their remodelers’ councils. Speaking engagements have included home improvement topics for association seminars and professional organizations such as building design institutes and professional engineering societies.
Mr. McReynolds focuses on serving clients and counsel in support of litigation, arbitration and mediation of matters involving construction disputes in single and multi-unit residential and commercial business sectors. Engagements have involved independent and objective advisory services, expert reports, and testimony in deposition and court, arbitration and mediation on a wide range of matters involving contract disputes, construction defect issues, product application, and overall management of the building process. He has worked for plaintiff’s and defense council in similar proportions.
Mr. McReynolds holds a bachelor’s degree in business administration and certifications and licenses in remodeling, master building, infrared thermography, insurance claims adjustment and forensic litigation consulting. He is a past or present member of numerous construction related associations, civic associations, and professional organizations.
2015 to present Accumyn Consulting, Director
2015 to present Construction Defect Consultants, LC., President
2015 to present Waterproof Decking and Renovation, LLC., Principle
2010 to present Home Defect Analysis & Solutions, President
2006 to present Comprehensive Claims Solutions, Inc., President
2006 to present Forensic Engineers, Inc., Forensic Consultant
1994 to 2010 John McReynolds & Associates, President
2010, 2011, & 2014 Spring Shadows Civic Association, President (Largest HOA in Harris County)
2001 to 2005 Wardlaw Claims Service (Farmers Insurance), Property Adjuster. Complex Claims Unit – Mold and Convoluted Claims Adjuster.
1999 to 2000 Champion Electric Services, Inc., President
1989 to present Custom Home Builder & Remodeler
SELECTED ENGAGEMENTS – CONSULTING AND LITIGATION SUPPORT SERVICES (2003 TO PRESENT)
- Managed a package of over 600 defect claims involving 131 new construction homes. Received and adjusted the claims, performed the cause of loss investigations, managed the reconstruction, provided expert consulting and testimony services in the recovery through subrogation.
- Provided expert consulting and testimony services in a hail damage claim to a 12-building apartment complex. Successful impeachment of the opposing expert’s timeline resulted in a favorable outcome for the client.
- Handled a residential explosion claim with significant property damage and potential personal injury implications. Investigation uncovered significant discrepancies between witness statements and the physical evidence resulting in a successful denial of coverage.
- Worked with a homeowner who had approximately 80 leaking windows in a newly constructed home. Formulated a repair plan, provided expert services, and assisted the homeowner through the legal process resulting in a significant financial recovery.
- Investigated a homeowner’s claim of a fraudulent transaction on an under-slab plumbing matter. Discovered that the work performed was substandard as well. Provided expert testimony and consulting services to prove the validity of the clients claim, resulting in a favorable mediation settlement.
- Consulted on a carbon monoxide poisoning case. Investigation disproved the previously accepted cause of loss and proved liability by a third party responsible contractor.
- Investigated a storm damage claim involving alleged wind damage to metal roofing. Proved the damage claims to be unfounded and assisted my client in a 12-0 favorable jury verdict.
- Reconstructed a 1970’s commercial domestic water system from a pile of discarded parts to determine the cause of loss of the flooding of a high-rise building.
- Investigated and proved a major concrete form blowout that had had occurred and then been concealed from the home purchaser and which resulted in significant foundation issues.
- Assisted a group of homeowners in identifying the causes of loss of multiple point water intrusions, including rooftop decks, balconies and windows. Created repair plans and provided follow up water testing to assure performance of the repairs.
- Investigated and built a team to identify the cause of loss in a unique concrete slab failure.
- Corrected oblique issues with historical aerial photos to correlate the location of large removed trees with the contours of major foundation movement in a government building.
REPRESENTATIVE PAST PROJECTS – ENGINEERING AND CONSTRUCTION OPERATIONS
- Determined the proper repair method in a slab failure and monitored epoxy repairs.
- Reviewed a construction in process and identified materials being used that were not up to the specifications.
- Investigated and determined the cause of loss in a matter involving the sudden and catastrophic rupture of the floor tile in a large room of a residence.
- Assisted in the development of a soffit ventilation system including establishing product instructions, ventilation guideline sheets and advertising materials.
- Assisted a repair contractor in the planning of the replacement of damaged major structural components in a multistory residential structure.
- Perform investigations and warranty service coordination for a major window and door manufacturer.
- Designed and built a digital control system to manage and monitor pumping stations under a large residential structure.
- Constructed the last home in a tightly packed patio home community. Coordinated materials receipt and debris removal with virtually no onsite staging room.
- Investigated a leak at the top of a 125-foot church steeple to determine the responsible party.
- Investigated the cause of a partial collapse of a structure built in 1884.
- Investigated the cause of a partial collapse of a recently completed structure in 2007
- Investigated and located underground methane seepage into a new construction home.
- Served as an adjuster on the Farmer’s complex claims team during the Texas mold crisis.
- Provided solutions to a homeowner whose builder misaligned the elevator shaft between floors in their townhome.
- Designed and constructed a transparent glass paver floor assembly on a balcony floor to provide light to an entertaining area below
- Determined the cause of a structural failure in a large residential home and assisted in the repair planning and oversight of the restoration of the home.
- Performed a major remodel of and addition to a 1920’s home which included the recreation of period correct details and components.
- Identified a significant defect in a flashing used by a major water heater company and assisted homeowners in receiving replacement parts.
- Assembled team to diagnose and repair sweating HVAC systems in multiple properties.
- Performed water testing and provided solutions for dozens of rooftop deck owners.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS AND APPOINTMENTS
Bachelor of Business Administration, University of St. Thomas
The Kinkaid School, Class of 1981
Owner Builder Curriculum, Houston Community College
Certified Forensic Litigation Consultant
Certified Graduate Remodeler, National Association of Home Builders
Certified Graduate Master Builder, National Association of Home Builders
Texas Licensed Insurance Claims Adjuster
Certified Level One Thermographer
Certified Infrared Moisture Surveyor
Certified Infrared Energy Loss Surveyor
National President of the Forensic Expert Witness Association
National Credentialing Committee Co-chair, Forensic Expert Witness Association
President, Houston Chapter, Forensic Expert Witness Association
Certified in OSI WINTeQ flashing techniques
Certified in Duradek and Tiledek installation
Certified in CSST Gas Pipe Installation
Forensic Expert Witness Association (FEWA)
Foundation Performance Association (FPA)
FPA Structural Committee Member
National Institute of Building Science (NIBS)
NIBS Building Enclosure Technology and Environmental Council
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
1998 Lone Star Award Winner - Best Kitchen in Texas ($40,000.00 +)
1998 Lone Star Award Winner - Best Whole House Remodel in Texas ($250,000.00+)
1998 Texas Association of Builders Star Awards - Best Remodeled Design (2X finalist)
1998 CADRE National Community Service Award (1st place)
1999 CADRE National Education Award (finalist)
1999 Lone Star Award Winner - Best Kitchen in SE Texas ($20,000- 40,000)
2000 Lone Star Award Winner - Best Kitchen in Texas ($20,000- 40,000)
2000 CADRE National Council Chairman of the year Award, nominee
2010 Special Award Recognizing Service to the International Adoption Community from the Ministry of Social Services - Heilongjiang Province, China
2013 Commended by the Texas House of Representatives for public service