Monique van de Ven has been in business as a general contractor, a developer, a property maintenance contractor, a landscape designer and installer of specialty gardens since 1983. She operated her first Vermont-registered business, Woodstock Finishing Touch, for 10 years and gained a reputation as a highly respected general and sub-contractor. Monique was partner, business manager, estimator and responsible for personnel management and public relations. The business specialized in additions (kitchens, baths, decks) and outbuildings along with property maintenance. The company was particularly recognized for finding solutions for challenging situations and being able to communicate well with all involved. In 1995, Old World Restoration was registered and Monique became the sole proprietor of this company specializing in historic renovations and restorations. Most of the work is sub-contracted and the estimating and bidding of various jobs in historic Woodstock VT. became Monique’s main focus. The same persistence and resourcefulness that she used to grow businesses from scratch now translates into an ability to bring disputes to satisfying closures.
Sample Projects Woodstock Finishing Touch
· Overseeing the disassembly of two large barns in a commercial area with heavy traffic with the ability to coordinate multiple interests under pressure and keep track of an elaborate puzzle.
· As owner/builder Monique designed and financed the building of a 500K spec-house on a 274-acre estate. Completed within budget, the project was a financial success.
· Monique was the Estate Manager for Fieldstone Farm for 10 years. This involved maintenance and security of historic buildings and antiques, overseeing the grounds crew, livestock operations, orchid greenhouse, care and maintenance of equipment, communication with owners, neighbors, outside contractors and local officials. Construction and zoning issues were also her responsibility.
Sample Projects Old World Restorations
· As an owner/contractor Monique completely overhauled a 1779 Post and Beam cape with stack walls by jacking up the house, pouring a new foundation, installing all new systems, roof, insulation, plaster and lath walls, adding dormered additions, installing a new driveway, artesian well, Presby septic system and finish landscaping.
· In 2001 Monique supervised a 100K re-wiring project in Bermuda working with local contractors and government officials, as well as absentee owners. The owners had been unable to acquire an estimate, or contact the right authorities for the work to be done. Monique was able to completing the project within the available 6 weeks, to fit a tight rental schedule.
Woodbury College features a practice oriented Mediation and Conflict Management program that provided Monique with approximately 300 hours of mediation in an academic setting, as well as an additional 200 hours of class room time and 262 hours for internship. Monique’s has mediated at Small Claims Court for approximately 110 hours. Recent cases included, but were not limited to, disputes involving commercial landlord-tenant, GC-owner, GC-subcontractor, contractor-subcontractor-owner, employee-GC, insurance provider-GC, insurance provider-owner, architectural design team-owner, government agency-contractor, municipality-contractor, commercial equipment rental-contractor, financial default-owner.
Monique has mediated for Woodbury’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Center. For the Vermont Department of Corrections, she has facilitated and mentored in the Windsor Prison for Women. She has trained VISTA volunteers (communication and conflict resolution skills) and taught peer mediation to middle and high school students.