R. Kent Mortensen has been involved in the construction
industry for more than 30 years starting his own business in February of 1978.
In those years, he has been a home builder and general contractor which has
allowed him to work in every aspect of the residential and light commercial
construction business. He has achieved a reputation of quality construction,
integrity, fairness and honesty throughout the Boise area in Idaho. He has also
been very involved with the local, state, and national building associations and
has served in many leadership positions. He has served in construction related
litigation as a professional witness, inspector of homes for construction
defects and pour quality workmanship for attorneys and their clients. He has
been involved with the Boy Scouts of America and has served in many positions in
the scouting program.
He has been extensively involved in the following areas:
Sales & marketing, contracts & negotiation, business management, construction management, construction accounting & bookkeeping, material & cost estimating, energy usage calculations, framing/carpentry (12 Years), finish carpentry, residential drafting, concrete - foundation & flatwork, job scheduling, warranty work/customer service, fire damaged demolition and re-construction of residential homes, remodeling and additions to existing homes.
Construction management, scheduling, material & cost estimating, etc.
Types of Commercial Construction:
- Group Homes for assisted living (typical Residential type structure with ADA requirements)
- Dentist Office’s (Stick Frame with masonry Veneer)
- Bar and Grill (Block Construction)
- Idaho State Liquor Store (Block Construction)
- HVAC shop & Office (Block and Stick Frame)
- Bank Building (Stick Frame)
These projects also included parking lot, parking lot drainage and curb construction
Kent started his higher education at Ricks College with an emphasis in
architectural drafting, which also included studies in engineering drafting,
woodworking and finishes, cabinet construction and residential electrical
wiring. He later changed his emphasis in studies to Building Technologies (now
called construction management) at Brigham Young University which included
studies in material and cost estimating, architectural drafting, sheet metal and
ornamental iron, wood structure framing, etc.
He has also completed a course on the residential requirements of the 2009 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)provided by Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
Completed several continuing education course’s over the years related to construction, provided by NAHB at their annual International Builders Show (IBS)
COMMUNITY AND PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENTS
SPECIAL AWARDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Awarded “BUILDER OF THE YEAR” by his peers from the BCASWI in 1993
- Awarded the “DISTRICT AWARD OF MERIT” by the Bigfoot District, Boy Scouts of America
- Awarded “BUILDER OF THE YEAR” by his peers from the IBCA in 2000
- Awarded “COMPANY OF THE YEAR” by his peers from the IBCA in 2001
- His company has received several awards over the years from the “Parade of Homes” including: Public’s Choice Award, Peoples Choice Award, Best Overall Parade Winner and many other awards.