Randy is currently managing member of a residential construction consulting firm where he provides guidance on efficient building systems-practices, problem solving, training, technical support, and product-building system promotional support for building material associations, building material producers, builders, and the legal industry where he has represented both the consumer and builder. Having served 27 years as Director of Research and Codes, Director of Design, Director of Special Service, and Component Plant Quality Assurance Manager for Winchester Homes, Inc., formerly a subsidiary of top 20 builder Weyerhaeuser Real Estate Company, Randy has dealt with almost every imaginable situation related to the design, building and servicing of residential single family homes and townhomes. He has been on the forefront of involvement with applied research and practical implementation of the design and building of high performance energy efficient homes, with a particular emphasis on advanced framing. Randy has extensive frontline experience addressing widespread building industry service issues, such as, FRTP, barrier EIFS, moisture intrusions and mold remediation. He actively participated; in the National, State and Local code development process; including, acting as one of four NAHB code development committee representatives in the development of the 2015 International Residential Code and 2018 residential chapter of the International Energy Conservation Code. From its inception, he has participated as a consensus committee member and task group chair in the development of Voluntary National Green Building Standard (ASHRAE-ICC 700). In addition to his residential construction background Randy has experience in the commissioning, start up, production and quality assurance in two of the country’s first Oriented Standboard plants as well as experience in the wood treating and preservation, composite panels, and hardwood plywood and veneer industries. Randy has been awarded the Weyerhaeuser Company and Weyerhaeuser Real Estate Companies Presidents Award and granted a US and Canadian Patent for wood working machinery.
Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI BS Wood Fiber Utilization 1979
University of Maryland, College Park, MD, MA Industrial Technology, with Thesis 1987
Randy Melvin’s High Performance Building and Code Solutions LLC, New Market, MD 2015-Present
Managing member of a residential construction consulting firm which provides guidance on efficient building systems-practices, product evaluations, problem solving, training, technical support, and product-building system promotion to building material and research associations, building material producers, builders, and the legal industry where he has represented both the consumer and builder.
Winchester Homes, Inc., Bethesda, MD 1988 to 2015
- Director Research and Codes - Actively engaged in and teamed with other industry stakeholders to track code changes, prepare code amendments and advocate for code changes at the local, state and national level. Kept Winchester appraised of forthcoming code changes and researched various methodologies for complying with them in order to ensure timely, practical, cost effective solutions were available.
- Director Special Service - Addressed the company’s most technical challenging and potentially litigious service issues. Took quality, process, building science and other lessons learned back to the organization as the basis for future improvements.
- Director of Design - Managed product design, product development and component plant engineering operations. Established and instituted standards and processes and incorporated technologies which dramatically improved the efficiency and quality by which Winchester generated working drawings and delivered our component packages to the field.
- Component Plant Quality Assurance Manager – Systematically identified and addressed quality opportunities in component plant operations by focusing on improving processes. Resulted in efficiency as well as quality improvements for the organization.
Weyerhaeuser Company, Grayling, MI 1981-1984
- Team Leader and Plant Construction Commissioner for the construction and start-up of Weyerhaeuser’s first oriented strandboard mill.
Louisiana Pacific Corporation, Hayward, WI 1979-1981
- Quality Assurance Technician and Shift Supervisor for the start-up of Louisiana Pacific’s first waferboard plant.
- Speaker at the APA -The Engineered Wood Associations 2016 Annual Meeting - “An Inside View Into Two Builders Pathways to Advanced Framing.”
- Joint training presentation with the APA at the 2015 International Builder’s Show - “Advanced Framing Maximizing the Value of Wood Wall Systems.”
TRAINING-PROMOTIONAL VIDEO’S- CONSULTING SUPPORT
- APA Inside Advanced Framing-How to build Energy Efficient Homes
- APA Inside I-Joist Floor Framing-Better Performance with Thicker Sheathing and Deeper I-Joists
NATIONAL COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS-SERVICE
- National Association of Home Builders - International Code Council 2015 - Committee for the development of the residential chapter of the 2018 International Energy Conservation Code
- National Association of Home Builders - International Code Council 2012 - Committee for the development of the 2015 International Residential Code
- National Green Building Standard Consensus Committee Member 2009, 2012 and 2015 editions
- Weyerhaeuser Company President’s Award 2009
- Weyerhaeuser Real Estate Company President’s Award, 2007 and 2004
- National Association of Homebuilders (3 codes and standards subcommittee appointments), Maryland Building Industry Association (Chairman Codes and Standards Committee) , International Code Council